Who can take part?
This programme is for teachers who are in the first two years of teaching Core Maths and are teaching a Core Maths class during the academic year 2022/23.
New to Teaching Core Maths.
The purpose of this programme is to support teachers who are new to teaching Core Maths in developing specialist knowledge for teaching Core Maths and to increase their confidence in teaching the course.
The programme has a primary focus on Core Maths subject knowledge and pedagogy and will be based on these six key themes which are common to all the Core Maths specifications:
- Using contextualised problem-solving
- Applying Fermi estimation and modelling
- Developing critical analysis
- Making sense of finance
- Using the pre-release materials
- Exploring statistics.
Technology and online teaching will be underlying themes throughout the programme.
This project involves a direct working partnership between the Maths Hubs Network and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP).
What will you learn?
- Your students will have raised awareness of the use of maths and statistics in everyday life
- You will plan sequences of lessons to promote student understanding, confidence, and progress
- understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem-solving
- develop their subject knowledge in these six areas: Contextualised problem solving; Fermi estimation and modelling; Critical analysis; Finance; Pre-release materials; Statistics
- develop their understanding of how online learning and technology can be used to support Core Maths teaching.
When are the Workshops?
Workshops will take place online on the following dates:
Wednesday 5th October 2022 16:00 – 18:00
Wednesday 9th November 2022 16:00 – 18:00
Wednesday 7th December 2022 16:00 – 18:00
Wednesday 18th January 2023 16:00 – 18:00
Wednesday 22nd February 2023 16:00 – 18:00
Wednesday 22nd March 2023 16:00 – 18:00
What is the cost?
The New to Teaching Core Maths project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and the AMSP so is free to participating schools/colleges.
1 thought on “New to Teaching Core Maths – Applications Closed”
Pingback: Index: Secondary and Post 16 Opportunities 2022 / 2023 – Jurassic Maths Hub
Comments are closed.