Since 2014, the NCETM / Maths Hubs Teaching for Mastery Programme has trained hundreds of primary teachers as Mastery Specialists. Thousands of schools have been helped by these specialists to start introducing mastery approaches in their maths lessons. The programme is to continue for several years.
The mastery readiness programme has been developed to provide collaborative training and bespoke school support, which acts as a stepping stone to take schools into the Teaching for Mastery Programme in 2024/25 and beyond.
Hundreds of schools have successfully taken part in Mastery Readiness to date and continue to develop their approach with the support of trained specialists at the individual Maths Hub.
- The training includes an introduction to mastery, how to prepare a school to be ready to implement teaching for mastery, initial steps, both in leadership and in classroom teaching, and strategies to overcome potential barriers.
- Support for the headteacher in addressing leadership issues related to maths and contributing to raising standards.
- Opportunities to work closely with other schools also developing Mastery Readiness.
- There is no charge from the Maths Hubs for participation in the programme for either the workshop events or the support or your school. Your commitment would be to release two teachers to engage in all events and have the opportunity to disseminate good practice to the rest of your staff.
- Some funding is available for participation in subsequent years to the Teaching for Mastery Programme.