This online programme is for teachers who are in the first two years of teaching Core Maths and are teaching a Core Maths class during the academic year 2023/24.
New to Teaching Core Maths.
The purpose of this programme is to support teachers who are new to teaching Core Maths in developing specialist knowledge for teaching Core Maths and to increase their confidence in teaching the course.
The programme has a primary focus on Core Maths subject knowledge and pedagogy and will be based on these six key themes which are common to all the Core Maths specifications:
- Using contextualised problem-solving
- Applying Fermi estimation and modelling
- Developing critical analysis
- Making sense of finance
- Using the pre-release materials
- Exploring statistics.
The programme gives inexperienced Core Maths teachers the opportunity to work collaboratively with their peers, guided by an expert Cohort Lead, to develop the specialist knowledge they need to teach Core Maths effectively.
- have raised awareness of the use of maths and statistics in everyday life
- have increased confidence in their ability to use and apply maths to solve authentic, real-world problems
- be more confident with the mathematical aspects of the other subjects they are studying post-16.
- apply related pedagogical approaches in their Core Maths teaching, including use of technology
- plan lessons and/or sequences of lessons to promote student understanding, confidence, and progress effectively teach some mathematical concepts and processes through contextualised problem-solving.
- understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem-solving and the application of maths to authentic problems
- develop their subject knowledge in these six areas: Contextualised problem solving; Fermi estimation and modelling; Critical analysis; Finance; Pre-release materials; Statistics
- develop their understanding of how online learning and technology can be used to support Core Maths teaching.
Teachers will need to be given time and support to try out ideas in their own classroom during the programme and encouraged to reflect on developing and deepening their classroom practise. Teachers are expected to attend all programme sessions (the equivalent of three days) and to implement practice-based activities in between sessions to enable reflection on the pedagogical approaches the are trialling.
This programme will be delivered 4pm-6pm online on these dates:
12th October 2023
23rd November 2023
11th January 2024
8th February 2024
21st March 2024
9th May 2024
What is the cost?
The SKTM Core Maths project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and the AMSP so is free to participating schools/colleges.