Applications for this Work Group are now closed. Please add your name to our waiting list below if you would like to be sent information when the recruitment window for 2024/25 opens. Please note the eligibility criteria (detailed below) as there maybe Work Groups your school could join this year to ensure you are eligible to join Mastering Number KS2 next year. For advice please contact the Hub.
What is involved?
Knowledge of multiplication and division and its applications forms the single most important aspect of the KS2 curriculum, and is the gateway to success at secondary school. This project enables pupils in Years 4 and 5 to develop fluency in multiplication and division facts, and a confidence and flexibility with number that exemplifies good number sense.
Professional development materials will be provided to cover five short sessions a week, with participants expected to support colleagues in their year groups to use the resources with all Year 4 and 5 classes.
Who can take part?
To be eligible schools must be either:
- Part of Mastering Number at Reception and KS1 2022/23 and will take part in the Embedding the Impact Work Group 23/24 OR
- Part of the Mastering Number at Reception and KS1 2021/22 and have been part of the Embedding the Impact Work Group 22/23 and will continue to use the materials in 23/24
As well falling under one of the above criteria schools must also be part of a Sustaining Teaching for Mastery (TfM) Work Group during 2023/24.
To be eligible to join a Sustaining TfM Work Group schools must have been part of an Embedding or Sustaining Work Group in 2022/23 or have taken part in TfM historically.
If you are unsure if your school is eligible to apply please get in touch email@example.com
Lead participants from Work Group schools will be two teachers – one from Year 4 and one from Year 5. Support will also be given to maths leads and headteachers.
What will you learn?
- Your pupils in KS2 will develop automaticity in multiplication and division facts through regular practice
- You will develop an understanding of how pupils progress in their knowledge and understanding of multiplicative concepts
- You will work as part of a professional learning community to refine your practice
- You and your school leaders will develop Mastering Number at KS2 as part of the curriculum in Years 4 and 5
What is the cost?
The Mastering Number at KS2 Work Groups are fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so are free to participating schools.
Applications for this Work Group are now closed. Please add you name to the waiting list to receive information once the application window open for 2024/25
NB. Schools will not require Rekenreks for this Programme.