The 2020 / 21 Mastery Specialists recruitment window has now closed. However the Recruitment for Mastery Advocates Schools 2020/21 is now open.
You might like to read a document about the core themes of teaching for mastery in a secondary school context and see our statement here.
You might also like to look at the Resources tab for materials including assessment guidance. Or for more information scroll to the bottom of this page.
During the last few years all Hubs have recruited up to 4 secondary teaching for mastery specialists working in their Hub area. Their work has consisted of the following elements:
- Participation in three 24-hour residentials across the year looking at the elements of teaching for mastery;
- Undertaking research and development work in their own classroom, developing their own understanding and practice of teaching for mastery approaches;
- Working with colleagues within their own department, supporting individual teachers’ understanding and practice and developing departmental policies, practices and systems.
- Beginning to work with colleagues outside of their own school through the vehicle of teacher research groups (TRGs).
Jurassic now has 11 specialists in schools across the region.
Click HERE to apply. The application window has now CLOSED for a Mastery Specialist place.
All Maths Hubs have Work Groups led by their Mastery Specialists to develop practice at a local level. The Work Groups are an opportunity for collaborative professional development activity. They support all participants in developing a shared understanding of teaching for mastery principles and provide an environment where new classroom and departmental practices can be tried out, shared and developed. Work Group activities typically include:
- Exploring aspects of teaching for mastery together – coming to a shared understanding;
- Engaging in the collaborative planning of lessons;
- Being involved in shared, mutual observation of lessons (live and/or videod);
- Developing curriculum materials;
- Developing curriculum plans and policies.
Participating schools are entitled to two years of support.
Click HERE for the expression of interest form.